Saturday, October 17, 2015

Stuck In The Goal

So, I did indeed summit the rim of Mt. St. Helens again a few days ago, for the second time this month. It was a perfect day, with the sun out, warmth, and very little wind.  

There were nice people up there, so I figured I could talk someone into holding the camera for me if I could just manage to stay at least somewhat socially pleasant.  

For some reason, staying socially pleasant is a huge feet for me when I'm trying to stay focused on a lot of technical things all at once.  I've just never had that ability, and the problem has made me late setting up and even breaking down for gigs and events and recordings. I've tried to get better with social multi tasking, but I just don't seem to have the hang of it.  

And cutting out socializing would be a completely acceptable priority system if it weren't for the fact that I often need people for things.  Most of the time people talking to me at a gig or an event are people who are in a position, and of an interest, to do good things for me: things like offering another gig, or offering a scoring job, or offering a discount on a BMW, or offering their daughter's hand in marriage, or in this case, offering to hold the camera at the rim of Mt. St. Helens.

It's a real trick for me to socialize under those pressures.  To do this, I kind of had to relax and get super-optimistic about my attitude up there.  I couldn't show any anctiousness or franticness, so I basically reverted to successfully convincing my inner-most self that I had plenty of time up there.


I maintained that non-crucial attitude even after I turned the computer on, which turned out to be the biggest mistake, among a few.  My Soundgarden cover was my most important reason for going back up there, but I had a couple of other things to do again up there as well.  Because of my forced cockiness about the time, I decided to do the Soundgarden cover last.  Between that, and the laptop power which ebbed away during my social trance, basically, the laptop power went dead right in the middle of my cover song.  That was it.  Just--bam--and the day was over.  Totally truncated.   

The hike back down at that point was probably the longest and most belabored one I've ever experienced. It just went on and on, all the while being nagged by that total botch I had experienced at the top.  Shouting on my way down the mountain, I realized that I would simply have to go back and do it one more time.

I know.  I know.  I make some of the stupidest mistakes imaginable on these trips and projects.  ;)) But mistakes in the practical world are nothing new for a mind like mine (artistically cluttered), and as long as I don't make any life-threatening ones, they are all learning experiences.

So, that's what I will basically do now--climb St. Helens a third and final time this month.  I am currently waiting out three days of rain up there, ending with a weather window on Tuesday.  I have a gig in LA on the following Thursday, so I will not be able to climb any later than Tuesday and still drive back from Washington state in time.  It's going to suck, and it will be back-to-back activity, but I don't really have a choice if I want that moment/footage/completion.  

Also, this weather window will not be warm like before.  I'm dealing with mid-autumn weather in the Cascades now.  There may even be snow up there at that point, for all I know.  It will not be easy to work the equipment in the cold.  But luckily, I only have that one song left now.  ;))  That's one thing in my favor.

I was originally going to climb Mt. Shasta with a close friend on the way back to CA, to accomplish at least two mountains this year.  So much for that idea.  Pile it on for the long list next Summer.

The last bummer of it: my Birthday is tomorrow.  I was supposed to be back by now so I could spend it celebrating victory with my loved ones.  Now I will be in a cold part of the country waiting in the rain to climb up a mountain a third time.  Most of my friends up here are working tomorrow so I will probably spend the day just catching up on work at my favorite coffee house in Portland again.  I love it here and was really happy to be back, but not for a day like that.   ;))  

Whatever though.  No worries.  Life is still good.  Blessed with health and personal wealth.  Biggest birthday wish--granted.

Will write again sometime after I've summited St. Helens and I'm back in LA.  It will probably be after my gig in LA on the 23rd, which by the way, feel free to stop in if you are around.  It will be free parking, a big perk for an art event in downtown LA.  ;))

Event page:

Band site:

Also, I may not edit that long previous entry that had heated content, as I partially promised.  ;))  We will see.  I recently read a great post from a friend saying he's been living life free from the bidding and morays of other and it's been working wonders on his psyche.  I might try it myself at this point, at least a little.  ;))  I may not feel quite as strongly right now about the ideas in that post, but I think the spontaneous feelings of that moment were valid at that moment. Also, for that reason, I won't bother editing most of these entries more than necessary either.  I'm sure you guys can read it fine enough to get the point, right?  ;))  Yarrrr!

Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment